A Comment:

"Until I read your blog entry just now, I didn't know that cornmeal could be used to control weeds. I've used it to control black spot on roses, and now that I think about it, I can't remember any seedlings coming up around the roses where I'd sprinkled cornmeal. I did a bit of research and found that cornmeal is said to inhibit germination of seeds -- so it doesn't actually kill weeds, just keeps their seeds from developing. One wouldn't want to use it in a bed where one intends to plant seeds, but it would work fine in beds where you'll be setting out transplants. Thanks for the gardening tips!" -- Barb


Thank you, Barb. And that is true about Corn Gluten that I may not have made very clear. It inhibits weed seeds from sprouting. So, that is why you can use it as a pre-emergent. If you planted veggies or flower seeds, do not put corn gluten on them!

: )

Comments