Eat Your Front Yard

I am a strong proponent of utility mixed with style. My front yard looks good, and tastes good, too.

The obvious edibles are growing from my garden plot. Pictured here is a delicious Watermelon called Moon and Stars. The skin darkens and yellow spots develop while the inside turns sweet and dark pink.










Here is Oregano. This is medium obvious. I like to interplant herbs with my perennials, cacti, etc. It is a hardy ground cover, and very tasty when dried and sprinkled on to Mexican Food.









Lamb's Quarters is the less obvious delicacy here. It is a manicured mass of weeds on the side of my home. BUT, it is delicious! I harvest the leaves and cook it just like spinach, and you could never tell the difference. It is sooo easy to grow, and I never water it!
The seeds it produces are very nutritous and can be compared to Quinoa.











Last one of the day's picking is Dandelion. I keep a bottle of water with me to drink (because it is 100 Degrees outside) and to wet the roots of this stubborn little plant.

I pull it close to the bottom so I can extract the whole darn root. Rinse and clean the roots, put them in the food processor, and roast them for coffee or tea.






The next post will have some recipes....
Don't forget to Stop and Pick the Weeds!

Comments