Good Garden Bugs

The best part of gardening for me are the results from implementing Permaculture principles. Observe nature, and create a living habitat that will balance and take care of itself. The grand designer is Mother Nature.

I have watched my habitat very closely (in fact I need a micro lense for micro world).

These are the good bugs that have moved in. I attract them by planting a variety of vegetables, herbs, perennials and flowers. Monoculture leads to one species taking over and demolishing your crop.


So, pictured here:

Ladybug in a sunflower. Ladybugs are great in all stages of their life. We are most accustomed to seeing them in their adult stage as a red spotted beetle. They eat aphids, which can be a great pest!




Wasp stalking a stink bug. Wasps are predators of the bad. Wasps and spiders make us humans slightly uncomfortable, but understand they regulate the bad bug population.






Assassin Bug devouring what I think is a Squash beetle, but it is hard to tell. The Assassin bug is my absolute favorite because it is a delicate creature that will kill things twice its size. We may not recognize all the stages of its metamorphosis, so be careful what you eliminate from the garden.


And my next favorites, that I do not have pictures of yet are the Green Parrots hovering over my garden on a powerline, picking off the stink bugs! I also love the Praying Mantis, which I had an egg full of 200 babies hatch in my garden, and I will try to get a photo of them.

Comments